Re: Bad news wrt stylesheet pi in internal subset

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 18:14:22 +0200, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:

> The following displays
>
>   nothing to see here, move along
>
> in all of Firefox 3.0.14, IE 8 and Opera 10.0
>
> foo2.xml:
> <?xml-stylesheet href="foo.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
> <!DOCTYPE foo [
> ]>
> <foo/>
>
> foo.xsl:
>                 version="1.0">
>
>   <xsl:output method="html"/>
>
>   <xsl:template match="/">
>   </xsl:template>
>
> </xsl:stylesheet>

That's good.

> And the following displays
>
>  <foo/>
>
> in both Firefox 3.0.14 and Opera 10.0
>
> foo.xml:
> <!DOCTYPE foo [
> <?xml-stylesheet href="foo.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
> ]>
> <foo/>
>
> Unfortunately, in IE8, regardless of compatibility mode setting,
> foo.xml displays
>
>   nothing to see here, move along

WebKit agrees with IE8.

This is a case I hadn't really considered. I would assume that there are
zero or close to zero pages depending on one or the other behavior (since
browsers disagree), so we're probably free to define whatever makes most
sense.

> So if we make the change we were discussing just now on the call, we
> will render IE non-conforming.

Whichever of the two options we choose, we render two out of four major
browser rendering engines non-conforming.

Personally, I tend to prefer to say that PIs in the internal subset are
not to be interpreted as xml-stylesheet PIs (i.e. what the current draft
says), but I don't feel strongly about it.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software