Re: XHTML character entity support

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:35:07 +0000
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Geoffrey Sneddon <gsneddon@opera.com>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, "public-xml-core-wg@w3.org" <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
On Nov 3, 2009, at 17:06, Shelley Powers wrote:

> I'm going to focus on the relevant part of this discussion to the HTML
> WG: there are rules defined for how undefined entities are handled,
> and these rules defined in the XML specification. There may be some
> issues of interpretation, but such issues are specific to the XML
> spec, not the HTML5 spec.
>
> As such, no further explanations or additional specifications are
> necessary in HTML5.
>
> Am I correct in this?

Not in my opinion. If predictably uniform behavior between UAs is
wanted and if we want to make it non-mysterious for implementors how
to performantly parse application/xhtml+xml content written for
browsers, this WG should specify normative entity resolver behavior
(i.e. mappings from public id and system id pairs onto streams).

As a practical matter, if I'm using SAX in Java, I can't get a
browser-
style EntityResolver off-the-shelf as part of a common org.apache
package. (Or maybe I could but I'm unaware.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi