Re: Fwd: XHTML character entity support

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:41:24 -0500
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, "public-xml-core-wg@w3.org" <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Simon Pieters scripsit:

> What is being discussed is not adding predefined entities. What is being
> discussed is making certain doctypes map to DTDs that contain just entity
> declarations (which is what Firefox, WebKit and Opera do today).

Well, any non-validating parser is free to do that today.  (It's not quite
clear to me from the XML Rec whether a validating parser is compelled
to actually read an external DTD subset, or whether it may simply assume
what it contains.)

The downside is that some non-validating parsers, those that do not read
the external subset, will reject the document as not well-formed.

--
BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        cowan@ccil.org
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan