Re: Fwd: XHTML character entity support

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:18:59 -0500
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Cc: "public-xml-core-wg@w3.org" <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Simon Pieters scripsit:
> See thread starting at
> http://www.w3.org/mid/CB173250-44A4-4E98-B723-101BB5673C85@webkit.org
>
> Maybe this is something that should be specified in the XML spec so that
> there is interoperability between XHTML UAs and other XML UAs.

The objections made on that thread to this idea are cogent.  XHTML is
just one particular XML document type, and once we start to add predefined
entities, where do we stop?

Any documents that contain undeclared character entities just aren't XML.
If UAs want to accept non-well-formed XML, they can, but I personally
see no point in XHTML5 unless it actually is XML.

--
John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Today an interactive brochure website, tomorrow a global content