Re: Liaison statement to W3C from SC 34/WG 1 [response from W3C's XML Core WG]

Grosso, Paul wrote:

> Thank you for your request regarding SC 34's desire to
> use the processing instruction target name token "xml-model"
> in Part 11 of ISO/IEC 19757 (DSDL).

Hi Paul and XML Core WG,

thank you very much for your response to SC34/WG1 inquiry. Officially,
SC34 will be able to respond you not earlier then after its plenary
meeting hold in September in Seattle.

I'm project editor for Part 11. Please find below my short personal
(unofficial) responses to your questions. I think that we can arrange
some practical issues right now and then just confirm them in official
response from SC34.

> In general, we are receptive to your request, but at this
> time we do not have a lot of details, so we are eager to
> exchange ideas so that we can work together to ensure the
> best result.  If we are going to allow the use of the
> xml-model name, we would want an xml-model PI to be
> generic enough to be used by any application to associate
> any kind of schema with an XML document.  The XML Core WG
> would like to be able to review drafts of the xml-model spec
> throughout its development.

This should not be problem as drafts are publicly available. What is the
most convenient way for you to be informed about such drafts? Should I
send announcement to public-xml-core-wg@w3.org each time new draft is
published?

Also do you think you will be able to make decision and reserve
xml-model name for us after you will see the initial draft? I understand
that you want to track xml-model spec through its whole development. But
personally I would like to see name reserved as soon as possible in
order to create stable environment for implementers in early stages of
standard development. It would be quite painful if we would have to
change name of xml-model processing instruction very late in the
standardization process. I hope that the first draft will be good enough
for making your decision and that it will clearly show the direction and
intent of this new Part 11. I suspect that later during standard
development only minor issues and merely details will be dealt with.

> We assume that the general syntax and semantics for most
> of the pseudo-attributes for the xml-model processing
> instruction will parallel that as defined in the Associating
> Stylesheet (AssocSS) spec that defines the xml-stylesheet
> processing instruction.

Yes, this was intent from the start.

> You should know that we are in the
> process of developing a new edition of the AssocSS spec, so
> you should be sure to coordinate your specification with our
> latest version.  (The additions are mostly clarifications
> on error or other edge conditions.)

Thanks for information, I will make sure to synchronize with the new
edition once it is available.

> We assume you will be writing a specification for xml-model
> that will be referenceable by everyone on the Web free of charge
> so that anyone wishing to support the xml-model PI for any
> reason--not just for DSDL--will have an official reference for
> it.  If this is not practical for you, then we would want to be
> able to republish the xml-model PI spec as a W3C publication
> (e.g., a WG Note or a W3C Recommendation).

Well, yes ISO has traditionally quite different model for publication of
standards/specifications then W3C, but fortunately things have improved
in the past. The Part 11 will be "Freely Available Standard" which will
be available from

http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/index.html

Is such form of publication sufficient from W3C point of view, or would
you require republication on W3C site?

I'm looking forward for your response.

Best regards,

			Jirka Kosek