added I18N note to xml 1.0 [was: Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2009 June 3]

I too question the wisdom of adding a non-rfc2119 may.

Also, just per (what I understand as) standard english language usage,
we're talking about logical possibilities here, not permissions, so
"may" isn't as appropriate as "can".

Taking the perogative of a chair that missed the last telcon, I suggest
the following wording is in countdown:

<added-note>
_Unicode_ (rule C06) says that canonically equivalent sequences of
characters ought to be treated as identical. However, XML _parsed
entities_ (including _document entities_) that are canonically
equivalent according to Unicode but which use distinct code point
(character) sequences are considered distinct by XML processors.
Therefore, all XML parsed entities SHOULD be created in a "fully
normalized" form per _[CharMod-Norm]_. Otherwise the user might
unknowingly create canonically equivalent but unequal sequences that
appear identical to the user but which are treated as distinct by XML
processors.

A document can still be well-formed, even if it is not in a normalized
form. XML processors MAY verify that the document being processed is in
a fully-normalized form and report to the application whether it is or
not.
</added-note>

paul