Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2009 August 12

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:14:35 -0400
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>
We have an XML Core WG phone call scheduled for Wednesday,
August 12, from
          08:00-09:00 Pacific time aka
          11:00-12:00 Eastern time aka
          15:00-16:00 UTC
          16:00-17:00 in Ireland and the UK
          17:00-18:00 in middle (most of) Europe
on the Zakim W3C Bridge, +1 617 761 6200, passcode 9652#.
We also use IRC channel #xmlcore on irc.w3.org:6665 .

See the XML Core group page [1] for pointers to current documents
and other information.  If you have additions to the agenda, please
email them to the WG list before the start of the telcon.

Please also review our group page's task list [2] for accuracy and
completeness and be prepared to amend if necessary and accept it
at the beginning of the call.

Regrets: Norm, Simon, possibly Henry.

1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.

The next Technical Plenary (and AC meeting) week (TPAC week)
will be Nov 2-6 in Santa Clara, California:
The XML Core WG is planning to meet f2f during that week.
Registration is now open:

Addison Phillips of I18N sent email about
Unicode Normalization in XML 1.0 5th Ed.; see

We have agreed on a note to add; see

ACTION to Francois:  Process the suggested additional note
as an erratum to XML 1.0 5th Edition.

HTML request for clearer XML serialization
Henry raised the issue that HTML folks think the XML
spec is broken because it doesn't define error recovery
and doesn't discuss serialization.

Simon added his understanding of the issue at
(second half of the message) and a thread starting with a
reply from John ensued at

Perhaps with this email beginning, Henry only needs to reply
to that thread to complete the following:

ACTION to Henry:  Send email to the XML Core WG list
outlining the suggestion to define a serialization spec
including the rationale.

3.  XML 1.0

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-errata

The XML 1.0 5th Edition Recommendation is at

Henry forwarded some email from Makoto about the 5th Ed at

4.  XML Test Suite.

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite

ACTION to Richard:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
issues raised by Frans Englich:

5.  Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0 and

The NS 1.0 2nd Ed Errata document is at

The NS PE doc is at

NS 1.0 3rd Ed is in PER at
until 2009-09-14.

6.  LEIRIs

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri

The WG Note defining LEIRIs is at

The following specs need to be revised to reference LEIRIs:
XML 1.0 6th Edition
XML 1.1 3rd Edition
XML Base 2nd Edition
XLink 1.1 (First Edition)
XInclude 3rd Edition

7.  xml:id

The xml:id Recommendation is at

John Cowan submitted a proposed erratum at

At one point we thought we had Consensus:
The sentence "A document that uses xml:id attributes
that have a declared type other than xs:ID will always generate
xml:id errors" in Appendix D.3 should be deleted.

But they we reconsidered.  Henry sent further email at

We did agree that applying xml:id processing does not have
any impact on the DTD/XSD validity of the document.

John re-summarized his thoughts at

ACTION to Henry (and others):  Continue the xml:id issue
discussion in email.

Richard pointed out the following note in XML Base
(just before section 3.1):

 This specification does not give the xml:base attribute
 any special status as far as XML validity is concerned.
 In a valid document the attribute must be declared in
 the DTD, and similar considerations apply to other schema

and suggested a similar note should go into xml:id in D.1.

There was also some email about some typos for which we (Henry)
should process an editorial erratum:

ACTION to Henry:  Process an xml:id erratum to correct the typos; ref

8.  XML Base 2nd Edition 2nd Rec

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base

The XML Base 2nd Edition Recommendation is at

9.  XLink 1.1.

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1

The earlier XLink CR was published at

The XLink 1.1 LC was published at

The LC review period ended 16 May 2008.

Norm has prepared an updated DoC at

Paul summarized the open issues at

Norm replied at

ACTION to Norm:  Update the DoC accordingly.

The latest editor's draft (of the PR) is at
and a diff-with-the-last-CR draft is at

We are still fiddling to get the correct DTDs/XSDs/RNCs in.
John sent email about this at

ACTION to Henry:  Update the DTDs (both for full
and simple conformance) so that the xlink:type attribute has no
default (e.g., is #IMPLIED).

Henry finds the DTD/RelaxNG/XSD fragments throughout the spec unhelpful
and would like to remove them (leaving them only in the appendices).
Henry specifically referenced the example immediately preceding 5.3.
But this was in the CR, so we will probably leave it, but we will
remove the default for xlink:type.

Henry sent an XML Schema for simple-conformant XLink at

ACTION to Norm:  Update the draft with the correct DTD, XSD, and RNC.

We plan to skip CR and going directly to PR.

Paul drafted a PR transition request at

The Implementation Report at
is pitiful.  We'll need to augment this to be able to request PR.

ACTION to Norm: Dig up more for the XLink 1.1 implementation report.

10.  XInclude 3rd Edition

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude

XInclude 2nd Edition is at:

See http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude for
LEIRI-related changes for the 3rd Edition.

ACTION to Daniel: Produce a PER-ready draft of XInclude 3rd Ed
with appropriate references to the IRI RFC for LEIRIs.

11.  Associating Stylesheets.

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-ss

Associating stylesheets with XML version 1.0 is at:

The Errata document is at:

The latest issues document with CONSENSUS resolutions is at

ACTION to Henry and Simon:  Produce a draft of the AssocSS 2nd Ed PER.

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2009Jul/0076