Re: [MURATA Makoto] Re: ISO and XML 1.0 5th edition

Dear,

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com> wrote:

> If this topic will need to be discussed at this week's telcon,
> I'd like to see some prior email discussion outlining what we
> see as the issues and our potential resulting actions.

Good idea !
See my answer inside

> paul

U+30FB
Indeed it is was not allowed in NameChar until 4th edition
In 5th edition it is allowed as NameStartChar and (obviously) NameChar

> > Second, in my understanding, XML Namespaces 1.0

True since "Namespaces in XML 1.0 (Second Edition)"  references "XML 4th
edition"
But there is an Errata (NE18) that correct these

Options :
1) Reissue a Third Edition
2) Make people vote on the Errata

> and xsd:NCName of W3C XML  Schema Part 2

Also true since "XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes Second Edition" references
"XML 1.0 (Second Edition)"
And there is no errata

Options :
1) Wait until 1.1 becomes a Rec
2) Reissue a Third Edition
3) Create an Errata and make people vote on it

do not allow name characters of the
> > 5th edition.  W3C
> > can probably sell the 5th edition more if W3C show which spec of W3C
> > allows all name characters of the 5th edition.

Very interesting and complicated question ;

SVG doesn't
MathML doesn't

xml:id doesn't but can
xml base (Second Editon) doesn't but can (even it has no sens ...)
XLink doesn't

XPath 1.0 doesn't (more interesting no errata go this way)
XSL 1.1 doesn't but can

> > Third, DSDL and OOXML of SC34 have to provide a consistent stroy
> > about name characters and XML editions.  SC34 uses XPath1, XPath 2,
> > XSLT1, XSLT2, XSD, and RELAX NG.  In our understanding, the only
> > consistent story is to stick to the 4th edition.

With respect to all the depency, it might work (but it also can suddently
break if we fix some Errata)

> > Fourth, you might want to have a look at a blog article of
> > the convenor of WG1, namely Alex Brown.
> >
> > http://www.adjb.net/post/SC-34-Meetings-Prague-Day-1.aspx
> >
> > If this issue is to be revisited, the next chance is the
> > Seattle meeting in September.
> >
> > In my understanding, Michael was the liaison from W3C to SC34.  W3C
> > might want to appoint somebody, since Michael is no longer with W3C.

For disclosure, I'm the new Liaison from SC 34 to W3C (but the other side -
W3C to SC 34 - needs still to be filled)

> > BTW, Resolution 5 in the SC34 plenary is also releveant to W3C.
> >
> > http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/open/1188.htm

This is about the reservation of xml-model for schema association

Mohamed
--
Innovimax SARL
Consulting, Training & XML Development