Re: xml-stylesheet issues--suggested resolutions

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:00:24 -0400
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
Grosso, Paul scripsit:

> Remember that SHOULD implies that an implementation needs to have a
> "good reason" to do otherwise (where "good reason" is, of course,
> undefined), so while an implementation isn't non-compliant if it does
> otherwise, there is still some force of standardization to follow
> the recommendation.

RFC 2119 specifically says:

   [T]here may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances
   to ignore a particular [requirement], but the full
   implications must be understood and carefully weighed before
   choosing a different course.

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Does anybody want any flotsam? / I've gotsam.