XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2008 September 2

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:51:10 -0400
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

The XML Core WG telcons are every other week.

Our next telcon will be September 10.

Status and open actions

C14N 1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#c14n1.1

The C14N 1.1 Recommendation has been published at

XML 1.0 5th Edition
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-errata

The XML 1.0 5th Edition PER has been published at

The PER period ended 16 May 2008.

A preliminary implementation report is at

We appear to have three implementations of XML 1.0 5th
Edition.  Henry is working on next steps.

ACTION to Henry:  Work on taking XML 1.0 5th Edition
to Recommendation.

XML 1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml1.1

XML Test Suite
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite

Henry/Richard discussed the test suite issues raised by Frans Englich:

ACTION: Richard to construct a test case for these issues.

Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0 and

Richard has partially updated the NS PE doc at

NPE27, 28, and 30 are in countdown until September 10.

ACTION to Richard:  Fill in a proposed resolution for NPE29.

We need to consider what to do about allowing IRIs (or LEIRIs?)
as namespace names in NS 1.0 and what to do about undeclaring
namespace prefix bindings in NS 1.0.

John sent email asking the I18N Core how they feel about
changing NS1.0 to allow IRIs (instead of just URIs) for
namespace names:
and there was some email discussion--see

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri

Martin's has made a new latest version available at

Martin has asked us to review it and supply tests; see:

Addison Phillips of I18N Core recommends we consider publishing
LEIRIs as a WG Note; see

A summary of what specs need to be revised to reference LEIRIs is at

XML Base 2nd Edition 2nd PER
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base

The (second) XML Base (Second Edition) PER has been published at
and announced at

The XML Base PER review period ended 30 June 2008.

We have some comments in the comments list:

ACTION to Richard:  Develop a DoC document.

We noted that the XHMTL WG raised a question about process at

 We are not convinced that the proposed changes fall
 within the process guidelines of what new features
 may be added to a recommendation.

ACTION to Henry:  Check with W3M about whether there is any
process concern with our XML Base PER.

XLink 1.1
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1

The XLink 1.1 Last Call has been published at

The LC review period ended 16 May 2008.

Norm has prepared a DoC at

ACTION to Henry:  Continue to get the XSD for
XLink at an accessible URI.

There's an open question about whether the XSD/DTD
should default the xlink:type attribute value.
None of this effects our last call because the
XSD/DTD are not normative.

John asked whether we should have two schemas, one for
each of our conformance levels.

ACTION to Henry, John:  Think about having a basic level
conformance XSD for XLink.

Paul asks us to consider skipping CR and going directly to PR.

ACTION to Henry:  Review the history and make a recommendation
as to whether we should skip CR and go directly to PR.

XInclude 3rd Edition PER
See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude

XInclude 2nd Edition is at:

ACTION to Daniel: Produce a PER-ready draft of XInclude 3rd Ed
with appropriate references to the IRI RFC for LEIRIs.