Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2008 August 13

Attendees
---------
John
Glenn
Norm  xx:30
Paul
Richard
Daniel

[6 organizations (6 with proxies) present out of 9]

Regrets
-------
 Konrad
 Henry

Absent organizations
--------------------
A-SIT (with regrets)
W3C (with regrets)
François Yergeau

> Agenda
> ======
> 1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
>    the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
>    or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

Accepted.

> 2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.
>
> We have been asked to review CURIEs.  See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0008
> for the message and some background.

John doesn't mind as long as they don't claim a CURIE
is a namespace.

Norm thinks CURIEs is an opportunity to confuse users.

Many of us on the WG think CURIEs are at best confusing
and possibly a bad idea, but we believe we have expressed
that idea before and CURIEs seem to be going forward, so
we've given up spending time on them.

ACTION to Paul:  Draft an XML Core WG review of CURIEs
and send it to the XML Core mailing list.

> ---
>
> October Technical Plenary
> -------------------------
> The next Technical Plenary is scheduled for October in Cannes:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/10/TPAC/Overview.html
> We have tentatively decided to meet there.
>
> The schedule is at: http://www.w3.org/2008/10/TPAC/Schedule.html
> XML Core meets Monday and Tuesday.
>
> Registration for the October TPAC2008: Combined Technical
> Plenary and Advisory Committee Meeting is now open at
> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2008/.
> Registration will close on 28 September, but the discount
> rate for hotel rooms will expire as of 8 September 2008.
>
> Probable attendees:  Henry, Norm, Richard
> Quite unlikely:  Glenn, Francois, Paul
> Uncertain:  Konrad (but unlikely), John, Daniel

---

Makoto has asked a question regarding RelaxNG and xml:id:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-id/2008Aug/0000
DV answered at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-id/2008Aug/0001

John agrees with DV's message which basically says that
xml:id handling is done at parse time and any RelaxNG
validation is done on top of that and doesn't modify
the infoset so there is no risk of clash.

ACTION to Paul:  Reply to Makoto for the WG.

> 3.  C14N 1.1
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#c14n1.1
>
> The C14N 1.1 Recommendation has been published at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-c14n11-20080502/
>

> 4.  XML 1.0
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-errata
>
> The XML 1.0 5th Edition PER has been published at
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/PER-xml-20080205/
>
> The PER period ended 16 May 2008.
>
> We need to have at least three implementations that
> pass the test suite for each of the errata that have
> been newly applied to the 5th Edition.
>
> A preliminary implementation report is at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2008/01/xml10-5e-implementation
>
> ACTION to Richard, Henry:  Add a test to the XML 1.0 5th Ed
> Test Suite about version=1.7 documents.

ACTION continued.  Richard will talk to Henry about this,
but they will try to get this into the test suite before
our next telcon on the 27th.

> A preliminary implementation report is at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/2008/01/xml10-5e-implementation
>
> DV has implemented XML 1.0 5th Ed and is working on testing.
> He will let us know when we can add what to the IR at which
> point we will be able to ask Henry to push for a Directors
> Decision and go to Rec.

DV has put his XML 1.0 5th Ed into CVS, so it's (sort of) public.
He expects to make a libxml release around the 20th, so we
will be able to say something after that.

> 5.  XML 1.1
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml1.1
>
> XML 1.1 2nd Edition published 2006 August 16:
>
>  Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1 (Second Edition)
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml11-20060816
>

> 6.  XML Test Suite.
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite
>
> Henry/Richard discussed some test suite issues raised by
> Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/
>
> ACTION to Richard:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
> issues raised by Frans Englich:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-testsuite/2007Mar/
>

> 7.  Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0 and
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.1.
>
> Richard has partially updated the NS PE doc at
> http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2001/05/proposed-xml-names-errata.html
>
> ACTION to Richard:  Fill in proposed resolutions for NPE27-30.

Done (except for MPE29).  The WG agreed with all three
proposed resolutions.

ACTION to Richard:  Put NPE27, 28, and 30 into countdown.

ACTION to Richard:  Fill in a proposed resolution for NPE29.

> ACTION to Henry:  Check amongst W3C staff to see how they
> would feel about us pushing forward a Namespace 1.0 3rd
> Edition PER that included as an "erratum" the additional
> capability (from NS 1.1) to undeclare a namespace prefix.

And add to that action the possibility of changing namespace
names from URIs to IRIs in NS1.0 via an "erratum".

> Paul started a thread (imported from www-tag) about whether
> NS 1.0 should allow IRIs (or LEIRIs?) as namespace names:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0005

Currently NS1.0 requires URI, and NS1.1 allows IRIs.

If we are deprecating NS1.1, we should consider changing
NS1.0 to allow IRIs (but not LEIRIs) as namespace names.
Of course, this would be stretching the idea of an
erratum just like allowing undeclaring namespaces in 1.0.

We should find out if this is important to anyone.

ACTION to John:  Ask the I18N Core how they feel about
changing NS1.0 to allow IRIs (instead of just URIs) for
namespace names.  (Mention the security issue.)

> 8.  LEIRIs
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri
>
> A summary of what specs need to be revised to reference LEIRIs is at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2007Dec/0045
>
> Martin's has made a new latest version available at
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duerst-iri-bis-04
>
> Martin has asked us to review it and supply tests; see:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0002
>
> Addison Phillips of I18N Core recommends we consider publishing
> LEIRIs as a WG Note; see
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2008Aug/0004
>

> 9.  XML Base 2nd Edition 2nd PER
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base
>
> The (second) XML Base (Second Edition) PER has been published at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/PER-xmlbase-20080320/
> and announced at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2008JanMar/0112
>
> The XML Base PER review period ended 30 June 2008.
>
> We have some comments in the comments list:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0003
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0011
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0012
>
> We discussed the XHTML WG comment at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0011
> a bit.
>
> The IRI-bis does allow x00-1F in LEIRIs, but such LEIRIs cannot
> be expressed in an XML document.  The set of LEIRIs that can be
> expressed in an XML document is identical to what was always
> allowed in XML documents.  See, for example:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/#escaping
> in XML Base 1.0.  What we have in XML Base 1.1 is identical to
> what we allow in XML Base 1.0.
>
> Norm responded to
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0011
> at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008JulSep/0000
>
> ACTION to Richard:  Modify XML Base to clarify the meaning of
> C0 controls and add an example that uses an IRI.
>
> ACTION to Richard:  Review and suggest a response to
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0003
> and develop a DoC document.

Richard questions whether we need a DoC between PER and Rec.
Paul thinks we should have one.

We noted that the XHMTL WG raised a question about process at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008AprJun/0012
saying:

 We are not convinced that the proposed changes fall
 within the process guidelines of what new features
 may be added to a recommendation.

ACTION to Henry:  Check with W3M about whether there is any
process concern with our XML Base PER.