Re: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2008 April 23

Grosso, Paul writes:

> 3.  C14N 1.1
>
> See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#c14n1.1
>
> The C14N 1.1 PR has been published at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/PR-xml-c14n11-20080129/
> and the PR review period is over.
>
> ACTION to Henry:  Lead the process of developing a
> director's decision.

There was one negative review, whose comments read as follows:

    Please as it is only related to XML 1.0, please add it :
    * to the name of the specification "Canonical XML for XML 1.0"
    * in the normative reference of Namespaces for XML

    Not sure to fully unterstand 4.7 Propagation of Default Namespace
    Declaration in Document Subsets

    It would be sure to have stated somewhere whether
    canonical(canonical(xmlfile)) is equal to canonical(xmlfile)

Are we prepared to make any editorial changes to address these
comments?  Our discussion two weeks ago suggested that we did think
that canonical(canonical(xmlfile)) is equal to canonical(xmlfile), but
it's not a stated conformance requirement.  We _could_ add a note
to section 1.3 along the lines of

  Note: Although not stated as a requirement on implementations, nor
  formally proved to be the case, it is the intent of this
  specificaition that if the text generated by canonicalizing a
  document according to this specification is itself parsed and
  canonicalized according to this specification, the text generated by
  the second canonicalization will be the same as that generated by
  the first canonicalization.

Or we could be elitist and just say:

  Note: Although not stated as a requirement on implementations, nor
  formally proved to be the case, it is the intent of this
  specificaition that canonicalization is idempotent, that is, for any
  well-formed XML document *D*,
    canonicalize(canonicalize(*D*)) == canonicalize(*D*)

or . . .

The title is certainly open to misinterpretation.  We could change it
to "Canonical XML, version 1.1", perhaps.

Until we agree on what if any changes we will make, I can't take the
Director's Decision action further (it's been on hold anyway as Steve
was essentially unreachable in the run up to the AC meeting).

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk