Re: Request to name the "no namespace" namespace

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 02:57:12PM -0700, fantasai wrote:

> Hello,
> This is a request from a somewhat exasperated CSS Namespaces [1] editor.
> Can you please assign the "no namespace" namespace a name? It's very hard

  my viewpoint on this is that if there is no namespace, then you can't
really say it is a namespace, because the people who designed the language
or the instance didn't think of it that way.

> to talk about it and make conformance requirements that involve it when
> it doesn't have a name.

  See how James Clark got around this
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#node-tests
by using expanded names:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#dt-expanded-name

  "The namespace URI is either null or a string."

I think that works and people are used to this at this point,

Daniel

daniel@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/