Re: Proposed resolution of HRRI/IRI discussion

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 22:58:25 +0000 (GMT)
To: Konrad Lanz <Konrad.Lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>, Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, public-i18n-core@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org, public-iri@w3.org

> > And require normative changes to all the specs, which is what we
> > want to avoid.

> Why would allowing what was allowed by the Grammar in RFC 2732 require
> to change all the specs?

Because they don't allow them now.  All the specs exclude square
brackets from the list of characters %-encoded by the processor,
either by explicitly saying so, or by not listing them.

If LEIRIs said that square brackets in the fragment get %-escaped
by the processor, and we changed the specs to refer to LEIRIs, that
would be a normative change.

-- Richard