RE: Proposed resolution of HRRI/IRI discussion

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:00:55 +0000 (GMT)
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, "Richard Tobin" <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Cc: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>, <public-iri@w3.org>

> My understanding was that one of the motivations behind Legacy Extended
> IRIs was to allow as little escaping as possible e.g. in XPointers.

That's an attraction of them, but as far as the XML Core WG is
concerned are motivation is merely to simplify and clarify our specs,
several of which describe identifiers of this kind.  So we want LEIRIs
to match those definitions, and they don't currently allow square
brackets unescaped.

I haven't checked the ancient history of this, but even XML 1.0 2nd
edition knew about RFC 2732 and excluded square brackets:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006#sec-external-ent

-- Richard