C14N 1.1 Appendix Updated

Hi Frederick, Paul and all,

Frederick wrote:
> Are we at a point where the needed changes are clear?
I'd presume so. Nevertheless challenging test cases from other
participants/implementors are highly appreciated.

Konrad Lanz wrote in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007May/0044.html:

> [...] preparations for C14n1.1 interoperability test and created two
> test implementations (taking different approaches) for the modified
> remove_dot_segments function and identified several problems. (If
> someone is interested in detail one can try the test cases in the
> attached HTML file).
>
> [...] please find a reworded version of the c14n11 Appendix including
> several test cases in the attachment.

Attached please find an updated version of the c14n11 Appendix updated
according to
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/0031.html
.

The changes proposed by in Juan Carlos in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/0041.html
have been incorporated.

The comments by Sean
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/0065.html
have not yet been considered as the consensus in the XML Core WG was to
stay as close as possible to the original text (Section 5.2.4
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt), which is also indicated by the
diff notation(coloring) in the Appendix .

However I agree that a complete rewording might simplify the processing
as I have informally mentioned already in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xmlsec-maintwg/2007Jun/0031.html
.
I'm unsure about the process if we'd really like to change this and
hence I sticked as "close" as possible to RFC 3986.

I would also appreciate other people's opinion about the following:
> Further in the concourse of these initial tests I also found a
> potential ambiguity in the merge_path function in rfc3986
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-5.2.3
>
> Which says: " i.e., excluding any characters after the right-most "/"
> in the base URI path"
>
> However I don't think this applies if a base URI has two trailing dots
> (assuming the optional normalization mentioned in the second paragraph
> of http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-5.2.1 was not performed).
>
> So I'm unsure what would happen to an inherited xml:base URI reference
> of the form "../.." to be joined with a URI reference of the form
> "..". For the least surprising output I would bet on "../../../" as an
> output and I think this would also deserve a mention in section 2.4 of
> C14n 1.1 .
>
> [...]
regards

Konrad

--
Konrad Lanz, IAIK/SIC - Graz University of Technology
Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria

Certificate chain (including the EuroPKI root certificate):
https://europki.iaik.at/ca/europki-at/cert_download.htm