HRRI questions [was: Minutes for XML Core WG telcon of 2007 June 20]

Norm, JohnC,

A couple questions below for you two.

The ID says something about becoming a BCP (Best Current Practice).

Did you mean this?

> 8.  On not percent encoding things any earlier than necessary,
>     Martin objects to the phrase
>     "nor the process of passing a Human Readable Resource
>     Identifier to a process or software component responsible
>     for dereferencing it SHOULD trigger percent encoding"
>     and Richard isn't sure why that's there either.  These
>     words came from XLink 1.1 says that, so we need to try
>     to figure out what it came from and whether we want to
>     keep or delete it.

We notice that the quoted phrase above is in XLink 1.1, but
we're having trouble remembering why we put those words in.

It (now) seems to some of us that it may be reasonable
for the process passing an HRRI to dereferencing software
to do the percent encoding.

Martin's email says:

 [the quoted phrase] may suggest that resolution interfaces come
 with three different entry points. I think it would be better
 to have done this work by the XML side when resolving something.

Do either of you remember the history of this phrase and/or
have any thoughts on this issue?