RE: FW: Clarification sought re C14N11

I embed two comments below (both requesting feedback).

Glenn, can you comment on this?

> [...]
> > are omitted from the node-set.
>
> Thus, may I propose to do this fix together with the feedback from CR
> Testing ?
>
> Looking at the current text of c14n 1.1 the reverting should not harm
> the processing of xml:base. It says
>
> "... ancestor axis contains successive elements E1...En that
> are omitted
> and E=En+1 is included"
>
> implying that the parent (En) has been omitted.
>

> There is however a second point I'd like to discuss here, which needs
> some introduction and an example:
>
> [4] was focused on the xml:base fix-up and hence lacked an
> update to the
> ancestor axis examination step for simple inheritable attributes
>
> cf.: "This examination is performed until the first rendered
> occurrence
> exclusive ..."
>
> As far as I recall intended to fix the idiosyncrasy of unnecessary
> copying of inheritable xml:base attributes in c14n.
>
> Now, please consider the following example.
>
> <e1 xml:lang="de" xml:base="http://www.example.org">
>   <e2>
>     <e3>
>       <e4/>
>     </e3>
>   </e2>
> </e1>
>
> With <e2> being omitted this would result in
>
> <e1 xml:lang="de" xml:base="http://www.example.org">
>   <e3 xml:lang="de" (xml:base="http://www.example.org")>
>       <e4/>
>     </e3>
> </e1>
>
> (xml:base="http://www.example.org") is written in parenthesis to show
> that it wouldn't appear in c14n 1.1 .
> Without (xml:base="http://www.example.org") it should be the result
> according to the text in c14n 1.0 .
>
> The following however would be more natural and may be an option for
> future versions of c14n.
>
> <e1 xml:lang="de" xml:base="http://www.example.org">
>   <e3>
>       <e4/>
>     </e3>
> </e1>
>
> The XML Security Maintenance Group might want to change this
> idiosyncrasy in a version post c14n 1.1 .
>
> Keeping this idiosyncrasy in both versions C14n 1.0 and 1.1 however
> remains compatibility for documents not using xml:base or xml:id.
>
> But then a question of consistency arises and we may want to have
> xml:base also being copied into an orphan. Just to be consistent with
> the other attributes in the xml namespace although it is not really
> necessary.
>
> This may result in the following sentence being removed from the
> current c14n 1.1 text.
>
> > Then fix-up is only performed if at least one of E1 ... En has an
> > xml:base attribute.
>
> Assuming others also feel it's worth to achieve consistency
> here, may I
> propose to consider such a change also as a result from CR-Testing ?

I continue to prefer to avoid fiddling with wording beyond our
remit which was supposedly just to correct the invalid inheritance
of xml:id and xml:base.  We do not have the expertise or desire to
get into C14N further.

Regarding this particular point, I am not able to form an opinion,
so I request that others express their opinions as to whether such
a change would be appropriate to make as we produce the C14N 1.1 PR.

paul

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Jun/0032.html