No < in Attribute Values

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:40:36 -0400
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
In reviewing a test case, I discovered there was some confusion about
this WFC:

  Well-formedness constraint: No < in Attribute Values

  The replacement text of any entity referred to directly or
  indirectly in an attribute value MUST NOT contain a <.

The person who wrote the test case concluded that this WFC made the
following document not well-formed:

<!DOCTYPE foo [
<!ENTITY x "&lt;">
<foo attr="&x;"/>

I wonder if there's somewhere else in the spec that makes this clear,
or if we want to consider an editorial clarification.

                                        Be seeing you,

Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect
Sun Microsystems, Inc.