No < in Attribute Values

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:40:36 -0400
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
In reviewing a test case, I discovered there was some confusion about
this WFC:

  Well-formedness constraint: No < in Attribute Values

  The replacement text of any entity referred to directly or
  indirectly in an attribute value MUST NOT contain a <.

The person who wrote the test case concluded that this WFC made the
following document not well-formed:

<!DOCTYPE foo [
<!ENTITY x "&lt;">
<foo attr="&x;"/>

I wonder if there's somewhere else in the spec that makes this clear,
or if we want to consider an editorial clarification.

Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect
Sun Microsystems, Inc.