Agenda request: attribute canonicalization

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:33:49 -0400
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
In

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Aug/0040

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

In a proposal [PP] to the Web Services Description WG, I found a need
to canonicalize only an attribute. I drafted a namespace [QX] for the
element that would contain that attribute. My goal was that others be
able to use the same element when they need to:
  - canonicalize 0+ distinct attributes.
  - canonicalize 0+ content items [CN].

The utility of sharing this convention would simply be the familiarity
of knowing that the element had no semantics except as a container. I
don't expect that generic XML processors could do anything with it at
the library level.

Do y'all know of any other specs who would need such a thing?

[PP] http://www.w3.org/mid/20060712163212.GE20246@w3.org
[QX] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/quotedXML
[CN] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#NT-content

Eric asked me if we'd given it any thought. I don't think we have.
Can we, please?

Norman Walsh
XML Standards Architect
Sun Microsystems, Inc.