W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-core-wg@w3.org > October 2006

Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2006 October 11

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:08:25 -0400
Message-ID: <CF83BAA719FD2C439D25CBB1C9D1D30204E8A010@HQ-MAIL4.ptcnet.ptc.com>
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>



We have an XML Core WG phone call scheduled for Wednesday, 
October 11, from
          08:00-09:00 Pacific time aka
          11:00-12:00 Eastern time aka
          15:00-16:00 UTC
          16:00-17:00 in Ireland and the UK
          17:00-18:00 in middle (most of) Europe
          20:30-21:30 in most of India
on the Zakim W3C Bridge, +1 617 761 6200, passcode 9652#.
We also use IRC channel #xmlcore on irc.w3.org:6665 .

See the XML Core group page [1] for pointers to current documents
and other information.  If you have additions to the agenda, please
email them to the WG list before the start of the telcon.

Please also review our group page's task list [2] for accuracy and
completeness and be prepared to amend if necessary and accept it
at the beginning of the call.


Agenda
======
1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).


2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.

The QA working group asked Ian Hickson of the Web Application 
Formats WG to request that the XML Core working group review 
the XBL2 specification that is currently in Last Call:

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/xbl2/Overview.html?content-type
=text/html
Editor's copy (more up to date)

http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xbl-20060907/
Snapshot for TR page (last call version; outdated)


3.  C14N 

Our three C14N documents have been published:

Known Issues with Canonical XML 1.0 (C14N/1.0)
     W3C Working Draft 15 September 2006
This version:
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-C14N-issues-20060915/
Latest version:
     http://www.w3.org/TR/C14N-issues/

Using XML Digital Signatures in the 2006 XML Environment
     W3C Working Draft 15 September 2006
This version:
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-DSig-usage-20060915/
Latest version:
     http://www.w3.org/TR/DSig-usage/

Canonical XML1.1
     W3C Working Draft 15 September 2006
This version:
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-xml-c14n11-20060915
Latest version:
     http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n11

---

Some notes on the C14N 1.1 WD:

Richard thinks the "diff markup" of 3986 is enlightening
and should actually appear in the spec.

Regarding referencing 3986 instead of 2396, we plan to leave 
the normative text and references of c14n 1.1 as is for a 
first public working draft, but to add a note in the "status 
of this document" section that says that the section on xml:base 
is expected to evolve along with the group's work on that 
recommendation.  [Actually, we didn't put any such wording
into the status.]

---

Glenn produced a new editor's draft of C14N 1.1 in response
to Konrad's suggestions at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Aug/0046

This latest draft is at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/WD-xml-c14n11-20060928.html

ACTION to Konrad and others:
Please review and send comments to the WG mailing list.

---

Jose received a response from Web Services Policy WG at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Oct/0005


4.  xml:base, [baseURI], and IRIs.

Richard is working on a new draft currently at
http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/09/xmlbase-2e/
which he updated with a new version Oct 3 (just
last week).  He has updated most of the references
and added a section (5.4) describing the treatment 
of same-document references.

ACTION to Richard:  Make a suggestion for replacement of 
section 5.1.


5.  XLink update.

The XLink CR was published at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/CR-xlink11-20060328/ 

Paul wrote a draft PR request at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Jul/0001

ACTION to Norm:  Create an XLink DoC.

ACTION to Norm:  Post to the WG mailing list something to
show that any valid XLink 1.1 document can be programmatically 
converted into an equivalent XLink 1.0 document.

ACTION to Norm:  Provide a few more tests for the test suite.

The old version XLink in section 5.5, we talk about values
of href attributes.

In the new version, we talk about IRIs and XML Resource 
Identifiers and other ways of encoding.  So it's unclear
now what to do about spaces in href attributes.  Compare
http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink11/#link-semantics and the
wording above it in section 5.4.1 at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink11/#xml-resource-identifier

Norm thinks instead of spaces, we should now say non-URI
characters. 

ACTION to Norm:  Make a suggestion how best to fix this.

Also, nowhere do we say that conversion from an XML Resource
Identifier to an IRI must occur as late as possible.
Suggested new wording:

 If required, the IRI reference resulting from converting
 an XML Resource Identifier can be converted to a
 URI reference by following the prescriptions of
 Section 3.1 of [RFC 3987].

 The conversion from an XML Resource Identifiers to an
 IRI must be performed only when absolutely necessary and
 as late as possible in a processing chain.  In particular,
 neither the process of converting a relative XML Resource
 Identifier to an absolute one nor the process of passing
 an XML Resource Identifier to a process or software component
 responsible for dereferencing it should trigger escaping.

ACTION to Norm:  Implement the new wording in XLink 1.1.


6. XML 1.0/1.1 4th/2nd Editions published 2006 August 16:

 Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Fourth Edition)
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816

 Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1 (Second Edition)
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml11-20060816

Henry has made the "edited in place" changes to the
HTML and XML of the non-review copy.

ACTION to Henry:  Correct the review versions.

Richard notes that there were some comments sent to the
xml-editor list:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2006JulSep/0004
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2006JulSep/0005

ACTION to Francois: Add the above two issues to the PE document.


7. Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1 2nd Editions published 2006 August 16:

 Namespaces in XML 1.0 (Second Edition)
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-names-20060816

 Namespaces in XML 1.1 (Second Edition)
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-names11-20060816

ACTION to Richard:  Record Anne's issue/proposed resolution
in the Namespace PE document.


8. XInclude Rec was published 2004 December 30 at:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xinclude-20041220/

The XInclude Second Edition PER has been published at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/PER-xinclude-20061003/

The Call for Review is at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2006OctDec/0001
Please urge your AC rep to complete this review.

It turns out XInclude should be under CPP not PP.
Henry and Philippe to address in PER with Daniel
addressing in the final REC text.


9.  Associating stylesheets--awaiting TAG action.

Henry reports that the HTML CG has been discussing this
for a while.  They are developing a draft statement of
the issue, and Chris Lilley will raise this at the XML CG.

Chris started the discussion on the XML CG list--see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-cg/2005Jul/thread.html#15
The XML CG will continue to discuss it for a while.


10.  Henry raises that RFC 3023 is out of date and the draft
replacement has expired.  

Chris has gotten the source and made the changes.

There is a draft at
http://www.w3.org/2006/02/son-of-3023/draft-murata-kohn-lilley-xml-02.tx
t
that can be reviewed now with comments sent to the XML Core
mailing list and/or Chris Lilley.

Paul sent some comments on 3023bis to the XML CG at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-cg/2006Apr/0026

Henry says Chris is going to take the XML CG input outlined at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-cg/2006Apr/0019
and produce another draft.

Chris and Henry also are backing "xpointer scheme" down 
from "registered" to "pending" in the registry at
http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpointer-schemes/

ACTION to Henry:  Correct the listing for "xpointer scheme" 
from "registered" to "pending" in the registry.

We will now await a new draft from Chris.

When 3023bis becomes a reality, we might have some
specs that need updating for the reference, but we
don't expect any major changes.


[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Sep/0074
Received on Monday, 9 October 2006 15:11:18 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:21:34 GMT