Re: Canonicalization xml:base processing

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:31:13 -0400
To: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Richard Tobin scripsit:

> I was surprised that <b> still has the . and .., but that is right
> according to RFC2396: because the path is absolute, the algorithm is
> not applied to it.

I believe this summary is correct:

In 2396 resolution, dot-segments in the relative path are special, dot-segments
in the base URI are not.

In 3986 resolution, dot-segments in both the relative path and the
base URI are special.

In neither RFC are dot-segments in absolute URIs special, though HTTP servers
may treat them specially.

--
A few times, I did some exuberant stomping about,       John Cowan
like a hippo auditioning for Riverdance, though         cowan@ccil.org