Re: FW: Transition request: First Public Working Draft for "The Disposition of Names in an XML Namespace"

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:33:05 -0500
To: François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Fran?ois Yergeau scripsit:

> This should be "Namespace *change* policy", as this is what it specifies
> (correctly as per the draft finding: "Specifications ... SHOULD
> explicitly state their policy with respect to changes in the names...").

> The best option is probably to point to IETF PCP 47 at
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/bcp/bcp47.txt, which currently returns
> RFC 3066 but will return RFC3066bis as soon as publihsed.

Typo: BCP 47, not PCP 47.  I'm glad you agree with me.  :-)

> I would propose to remove that entire section and simply add a reference
> (http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry) to the BCP
> 47 entry in Related Resources.

I'd go further: remove the whole "Language Codes" section and add nothing.
The subtag registry by itself isn't very useful without RFC 3066bis, and
it's downright misleading with respect to RFC 3066.

John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  www.ap.org  www.ccil.org/~cowan
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths
led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen.  I am the clue-finder,
the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the lucky number.  --Bilbo