Joining two relative URIs (public-ietf-w3c-draft)

From: Konrad Lanz <Konrad.Lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:56:36 +0100
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
Cc: Peter Lipp <peter.lipp@iaik.tugraz.at>, Martin Centner <mcentner@iaik.tugraz.at>
Dear all,

the email below is a draft to be sent as
"mailto:public-ietf-w3c@w3.org?cc=uri-ig@w3.org&subject=Joining two
relative URIs
next Monday on behalf of the xml core working group.

best regards
Konrad Lanz

#--- snip ---
Dear T. Berners-Lee, R. Fielding, L. Masinter,

According to an email by John Boyer
we need to apply the inheritance rule
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/#resolution> to xml:base when
canonicalizing a XPath node-set over a XML document using C14n
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n>'s successor Canonical XML 1.1
<http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2006/02/WD-xml-c14n11>. This can be
critical when nodes in a document become an orphan. For a simple example
cf. to the post by Henry S. Thompson
where critical xml:base context could be lost by for instance applying
an XPath-Filter <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/#sec-XPath>(2.0

Consider the following

  <b xml:base="test1/somefile1.ext#abc?def">
    <c xml:base="test2/somefile2.ext"/>

with the 'b' being clipped out, we'd get

     <c xml:base="test1/test2/somefile2.ext"/>

and the relevant information of xml:base gets pushed down to the child nodes.

If b's xml:base was an absolute URI one would absolutize using the
algorithm in 5.2 in RFC 2396 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt>.
However the example above requires the joining of two relative URIs
which we believe is not defined in RFC 2396
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt>. It may nevertheless be defined in
RFC 3986 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt> in section "5.2. Relative
Resolution" by applying applying the algorithm in 5.2 ignoring the note
"that only the scheme component is required to be present in a base URI".

Our question is: Is this covered in the scope of RFC 3986
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt> ?

The group currently discusses the resolution above as an alternative to
adapting section 5.2 step 6
of RFC 2396 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt> (currently referenced
in xml base <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/#resolution> and C14n)
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n> or not to apply inheritance rules
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlbase/#resolution> at all when nodes in a
document become an orphan.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
best regards on behalf of the xml-core-group

Konrad Lanz

#--- snip ---

Konrad Lanz, IAIK/SIC - Graz University of Technology
Inffeldgasse 16a, 8010 Graz, Austria
Tel: +43 316 873 5547
Fax: +43 316 873 5520

Certificate chain (including the EuroPKI root certificate):