John Cowan pushes back on IRIs in [baseURI]

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:55:52 -0500
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

While I am very much in favor of allowing IRIs in xml:base attributes,
I believe that it would be improper to expose them as IRIs in the
Infoset's [baseURI] property.  This would in effect be a redefinition
of the term "base URI", and there is no reason for it, since any IRI
can be readily transformed into a URI.

Since the Infoset is abstract, this does not of course prevent any
concrete API or protocol from exposing a base URI in IRI form when
possible.

Also, where are XML Resource Identifiers explained, and do they allow
(which cannot appear in IRIs)?

--
John Cowan  cowan@ccil.org  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.ap.org
If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on