Re: c14n xml:base, draft for a solution

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:15:19 +0100 (BST)
To: Konrad Lanz <Konrad.Lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Some comments:

> Using the "join URI" function xml:base fix up the processing of the
> attribute axis of an element E in the node-set hence can be enhanced
> further.

I can't really make sense of that sentence!

> The element nodes along E's ancestor axis are now examined for all
> occurrence non simple inheritable attributes in the xml namespace, such
> as xml:base, that have been omitted (i.e. they are not in the node-set).

If we are describing xml:base fix-up, only xml:base is relevant, not
other non-simple-inhertable attributes.

Is it possible for multiple portions to be omitted?  For example

   <foo>
     ... some omitted elements ...
       <bar>
         ... some more omitted elements ...
           <baz>

> This examination is performed until the first rendered occurrence
> exclusive (i.e. this one is in the node-set). Only if such attributes
> exist E's xml:base attribute will be changed (i.e. E's xml:base value is
> fixed up or E's receives an xml:base attribute).

I think we need a more formal statement.  Let E be an included element
whose successive ancestors E1 ... En are omitted and En+1 is included.
Then fix-up is only performed if one of E1 ... En has an xml:base
attribute.  In that case let X1 ... Xm be the values of the xml:base
attributes on En ... E1 E (in order from outermost to innermost).  The
sequence of values is reduced to a single value by first combining
X1 with X2, then the result with X3, and so on.

-- Richard