Re: xml:base, yet again

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 02:40:15PM +0100, Richard Tobin wrote:

> I exchanged email with Roy Fielding concerning the interpretation of
> xml:base attributes.
>
> He says that same-document references are only relevant for retrieval.
> RFC 2396 clearly says in the section on resolving relative references
> (5.2 step 2) that an empty URI reference is a reference to the current
> document, but RFC 3986 does not mention it in that context, and Roy
> says that RFC 3986 was specifically intended to correct
> misunderstandings about same-document references.
>
> If we accept this, then we can return to believing that xml:base=""
> is a no-op, which is certainly less surprising.  To test current
> implementations, I have created an XInclude document which produces
> different results depending on how xml:base="" is interpreted.
>
> Please point your XInclude implementation at
>
>   http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/xinclude-base-test/start.xml
>
> and see what the result is.

  Looks fine to me,

paphio:~/XML -> xmllint --xinclude http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/xinclude-base-test/start.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<x xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
<x xml:base="subdir/">
<x>
Your XInclude processor supports xml:base
</x>
<x xml:base="">
<x>
Your XInclude processor treats xml:base="" as a no-op.
</x>
</x>
</x>
</x>