[Konrad Lanz] Re: Canonicalization xml:base processing

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Konrad Lanz <Konrad.Lanz@iaik.tugraz.at>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 17:35:29 +0000
  • Subject: Re: Canonicalization xml:base processing
  • To: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, pgrosso@ptc.com
  • Cc: public-xml-core-wg-request@w3.org
Richard Tobin wrote:
> [...]
> The base URI is file://three/four/a.file, but any use of it to resolve
> a relative URI will involve throwing away the "a.file" bit.  The first
> step of the resolution algorithm throws away everything after the last
> slash in the base URI.  So it has the same effect as if it were
> file://three/four/ .

I'm not sure this is true as RFC 2396 section 5.2 step 2) is as follows:
"""

   2) If the path component is empty and the scheme, authority, and
      query components are undefined, then it is a reference to the
      current document and we are done.  Otherwise, the reference URI's
      query and fragment components are defined as found (or not found)
      within the URI reference and not inherited from the base URI.

"""

The first sentence is true for a relative uri reference such as #bare-name.
And the reverse of the second sentence implies either that the
"a.file" bit has an effect.

An alternative interpretation is that #bare-name = ""+#bare-name and does not
inherit anything at all from xml:base, which is not very reasonable from my point of view.

best regards
Konrad
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk