RE: [Bjoern Hoehrmann] Re: IRIEverywhere-27

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:50:34 -0500
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Cc: "public-xml-core-wg" <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

> -----Original Message-----
> From: public-xml-core-wg-request@w3.org
> [mailto:public-xml-core-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Henry
> S. Thompson
> Sent: Tuesday, 2006 January 24 9:35
> To: François Yergeau
> Cc: public-xml-core-wg
> Subject: [Bjoern Hoehrmann] Re: IRIEverywhere-27

For those who, like me, got empty email from Henry, see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2006Jan/0039
which is a bit of a mess but at least is there.

Here is my attempt to forward what Henry said:

------------

Could someone convince me that we _shouldn't_ do what Bjoern suggests
here, i.e. include an appeal to Unicode Normalization [C] in the new
universal IRI->URI algorithm?

Doing so will remove a potential serious roadblock for XLink 1.1.

I'm far from being an expert on this area, but to my naive eyes his
argument (which is a reply to my claim that Character Encoding rules
don't apply to IRI->URI mapping for XML specs, because they all start
>From infoset values, which are defined as sequences of Unicode code
points) seems valid.

ht

Then Henry quotes Bjoern's message from