Re: UTF-16 and Byte Order Mark

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:53:25 -0500
To: Dieter Köhler <d.k@philo.de>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Dieter K?hler scripsit:
> RFC 2781, sec. 4.3 says that a text without a byte order mark and
> labelled as UTF-16 defaults to big-endian.  In the light of this
> passage the requirement of the XML spec, sec. 4.3.3 that entities
> encoded in UTF-16 MUST begin with a byte order mark seem to me
> unnecessarily harsh.  Why not adopt the rule from RFC 2781 that
> entities encoded in UTF-16 without a byte order mark default to
> big-endian?

(Not speaking for the Core WG here.)

That would constitute a change in what is and what is not well formed,
and we don't intentionally make changes to XML 1.0 that affect
well-formedness.

--
So that's the tune they play on                 John Cowan
their fascist banjos, is it?                    cowan@ccil.org