generic element for attribute canonicalization

From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:41:51 +0200
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org
Cc: kahan@w3.org, public-ws-semann@w3.org

[ Glancing at the archive, I *think* non-wg members are invited to
post to this forum. Apologies if not. ]

In a proposal [PP] to the Web Services Description WG, I found a need
to canonicalize only an attribute. I drafted a namespace [QX] for the
element that would contain that attribute. My goal was that others be
able to use the same element when they need to:
  - canonicalize 0+ distinct attributes.
  - canonicalize 0+ content items [CN].

The utility of sharing this convention would simply be the familiarity
of knowing that the element had no semantics except as a container. I
don't expect that generic XML processors could do anything with it at
the library level.

Do y'all know of any other specs who would need such a thing?

[PP] http://www.w3.org/mid/20060712163212.GE20246@w3.org
[QX] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/quotedXML
[CN] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#NT-content
--
-eric

home-office: +1.617.395.1213 (usually 900-2300 CET)
	    +33.1.45.35.62.14
cell:       +33.6.73.84.87.26

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.