Re: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2006 August 23

From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@veillard.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:47:23 +0200
To: "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 10:17:53AM -0400, Grosso, Paul wrote:
> DV reports that there are a few changes in the XInlude
> errata that could benefit from a test suite.
> ACTION: DV to propose new XInclude tests.

 I didn't fully fullfill my ACTION, but I think I identified the 3 errata
who can really affect the processing: PEX1, PEX6 and PEX11, and suggest
test cases which could be added. I didn't really tried to push new tests
in W3C CVS (it's a bit messy, is http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/XInclude-Test-Suite/
really where this should live ?), so the action is not complete. I'm also
afraid libxml2 currently would fail those tests, so I also need to fix my
code. But here is the list and suggested test to be added:

* http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/01/proposed-xinclude-errata#PEX1

Adding a new paragraph between paragraph 3 and 4 of section 3.2:
    The content of xi:fallback elements are ignored unless a resource
    error occurs while processing the surrounding xi:include element. In
    particular, apparent fatal errors caused by the presence, absence,
    or content of elements and attributes inside the xi:fallback element
    must not be reported in xi:fallback elements that are ignored.

I went though all the tests in
None covers this case.

Something like the following test should be added:

<x xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
   <!-- Test that no fatal error is generated for a fallback element
        content that is not activated.-->
   <xinclude:include href="./ents/something.xml">

Libxml2 actually fails that test at the moment.

* http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/01/proposed-xinclude-errata#PEX6

  Change handling of BOM on parse='text'
  We will add the following clarification that applies
  to all encodings:

    When the first character is interpreted as a BOM,
    it should be discarded.  It is interpreted as a
    BOM in UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32 encodings; it is
    not interpreted as a BOM in the UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE,
    UTF-32LE, and UTF-32BE encodings.

Again I didn't see any test which would suit that one.

We need to add one test like

<x xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
   <!-- Test that a BOM in UTF16 is not added to the resulting document -->
   <xinclude:include href="../ents/utf16lewithbom" parse="text"

and another one

<x xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
   <!-- Test that a BOM in UTF16 is not added to the resulting document -->
   <xinclude:include href="../ents/utf16lewithbom" parse="text"

And check that the resulting document does not include xFEFF while the second
I'm relatively confident that libxml2 would fail the second one, consuming the
BOM in case of encoding="UTF-16LE" ... I need to find a way to produce the
utf16lewithbom document maybe simply an UTF16LE with BOM existing XML document
will be the simplest to find and check.

* http://www.w3.org/XML/2005/01/proposed-xinclude-errata#PEX11

  character checking on accept attribute values.

  Therefore, we want
  to be more restrictive than required by 2616. So, we plan to change:

    Values containing characters outside the range #x20 through #x7E are
    disallowed in HTTP headers, and must be flagged as fatal errors.

  instead to be worded as follows:

    Values containing characters outside the range #x20 through #x7E must
    be flagged as fatal errors.

So we need to add a test with an accept attribute holding a wrong value:

<x xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
   <!-- Test that a wrong accept attribute generate a fatal error -->
   <xinclude:include href="../ents/something.xml"

Libxml2 does not implement accept header, it doesn't even look at it, so
I'm sure I fail this at the moment.

daniel@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/