On XInclude PEX14

From: François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:02:41 -0500
To: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

PEX14 says:

"ERH asks "what should I do if the encoding attribute
does not satisfy [XML 1.0's EncName] production [81]"

The (admittedly non-normative) schema fragment in section 3 defines it as:

   <xs:attribute name="encoding" use="optional" type="xs:string"/>

This seems to indicate that we didn't want non-conformance to production
[81] to always produce an error.

But it can make sense to check the syntax if the attribute is actually
used.  It is used only when parse="text", and then only if the first two
items (external info, media type says some kind of XML) in the list of
steps to determine the encoding are not available.

We already cover the case of an unsupported encoding (resource error).
But we could distinguish the case where the att value does not meet
production [81], making it a fatal error.  This would make sense since
it is not the resource itself that has an error, it is the XInclude
instruction and this would not be fixed by trying later or with another
processor.

--
François