RE: can an app use an XML Catalog to resolve an xinclude href value?

> From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:daniel@veillard.com]
>
>   That I dislike a local directly accessible resource
> being taken over a catalog. But for any remote, missing
> or public ID access I'm fine Catalogs taking over.

Actually, the XML Catalog spec says:

 This Standard does not dictate when an entity manager
 should access this catalog; for example, an application
 may attempt other mapping algorithms before or (if the
 catalog fails to produce a successful mapping) after
 accessing this catalog.

so I believe you might be able to argue that your
desired behavior doesn't violate the letter of the spec.

I suspect, however, that most users will not like your
decision, since most catalog implementations do use
the catalog first, and the XML Catalog spec does provide
the SYSTEM entry type to allow for mapping of "directly
accessible" URIs.

Furthermore, the rewriteSystem type entry becomes pretty
useless if you are not going to check the catalog first
when you see a local system identifier.

Certainly, the whole "prefer" attribute which allows
for one to ask that the public identifier try to be
resolved before the system identifier is a case where
users are asking you not to use the "directly accessible"
system id without first trying to resolve the public id
through the catalog.