RE: XML 1.1 backwards compatibility

My memory is that the big reason we took out the C1 control
characters from 1.1 was that folks like Rick Jelliffe wanted
them to be an error so that we'd be able to catch more
encoding errors.

[I was always dubious of that argument/decision, but maybe
I'm remembering things wrong/incompletely too.]

What's the impetus now behind your rethinking this?