Re: XML 1.0/1.1 PE ?

From: François Yergeau <francois@yergeau.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:29:22 -0400
To: Glenn Marcy <gmarcy@us.ibm.com>
Cc: public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

Glenn Marcy a écrit :
> As things stand now, the following appear to be the case:
>
>  From Section 3, "Validity Constraint: Element Valid"
>
> - Mixed and ANY content models do not allow CDATA sections.
>
> - ANY content models do not allow PIs or Comments as well.
>
> Does anyone else find this surprising?

At least one recent commenter to xml-editor thought that CDATA sections
were in fact disallowed.  It turns out that 2.7 says "[Definition: CDATA
sections MAY occur anywhere character data may occur", so this is
covered, although far from a model of clarity.  The commenter thought it
deserved a fix to the spec (in the VC in 3) and I'm more and more
inclined to agree.

PIs and Comments in ANY is even worse.

It is interesting (for some value of interesting) that we have
word-smithed this VC extensively in the 3rd edition [1], yet failed to
fix this.  Do we want to tweak it again?

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/REC-xml-20040204-review.html#elementvalid
--
François