Draft Transition Request: PR Request for XInclude take 3

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:42:53 -0400
To: "XML Core WG" <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>

Here is my FINAL take on the draft PR request.  If I don't
hear of problems, I'll send this off COB my time tomorrow
(Friday) assuming the implementation report is ready.

I would like at least Jonathan, Norm, and Henry to sanity
check this request and the referenced documents and give
me an ack that you've done so.

Remaining ACTIONs are:

1.  Richard:  Finalize the implementation report putting it at:

2.  Paul:  Send the actual PR request.

3.  Henry:  Help arrange a PR call and ensure that
            xinclude-team-review@w3.org is still "working".

Eventually-to: timbl@w3.org, Steve Bratt <steve@w3.org>,
  w3c-xml-cg <w3c-xml-cg@w3.org>
Eventually-cc: chairs@w3.org, webreq@w3.org, w3t-comm@w3.org,
  w3t-qa@w3.org, Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>

The XML Core WG requests publication of the following document
as a W3C Proposed Recommendation:

XML Inclusions (XInclude) Version 1.0

The URL cited above is for the most recent Member-only version of
the specification, dated 8 September 2004.

A review version with diffs noted is at

The XInclude 1.0 specification was published as a Candidate
Recommendation on 13 April 2004. The list of issues that were
raised and discussed can be found at:

The XML Core WG has received two replies from a commentor objecting to
our response--see issues xi-2 and xi-12.  In each case, the XML Core WG
re-affirmed our original response with the following rationales:
* for xi-2:
   "We decided to leave IRI validation up to the implementation.  ERH
    objects to doing so, but Daniel's implementation is a case in point
    where IRI validation is not feasible."
* for xi-12:
   "The WG's understanding of the request from I18N and the TAG in
    this area leads us to reconfirm our previous decision."

The WG's decision to request publication as a Proposed Recommendation
was taken during a teleconference on 8 September 2004, minutes may be
found at:

The CR request was made at
Therein, the exit criteria required reports of at least 2 successful
implementations of the required features defined in this specification
and at least 1 successful implementation of the following optional

1.  xml:lang ([language] property) fixup (section 4.5.6)
2.  accept and accept-language attribute handling (section 3.1)

A successful implementation is one that passes the test suite for
the supported features.

The test suite for XInclude is available at:

The implementation results are available at:

The results show two or three implementations of all required features
and at least one implementation of the above two mentioned optional
features; therefore, we have fulfilled our CR exit criteria.

We propose that the PR period for XInclude 1.0 last for eight
weeks from the date of PR publication.

The XML Core WG approved publication during our telcon of 2004 Sept 8:

Changes to the document are highlighted by the review version at

The WG believes it has addressed all of the requirements in the RD at

Evidence that issues have been addressed can be seen
in our Disposition of Comments document at

A test suite is available at

An Implementation report is at

Our IPR disclosure page is at

This document specifies a processing model and syntax for general
purpose inclusion. Inclusion is accomplished by merging a number
of XML information sets into a single composite infoset.
Specification of the XML documents (infosets) to be merged and
control over the merging process is expressed in XML-friendly
syntax (elements, attributes, URI references).

Status of this document
This section describes the status of this document at the time
of its publication. Other documents may supersede this document.
A list of current W3C publications and the latest revision of
this technical report can be found in the W3C technical reports
index at http://www.w3.org/TR/.

This document is a Proposed Recommendation (PR) of the W3C. This
document has been produced by the W3C XML Core Working Group as
part of the XML Activity.

W3C Advisory Committee Members are invited to send formal review
comments to the W3C Team until 29 October 2004. Review comments
should be sent to xinclude-team-review@w3.org; comments sent there
will be made available to members after the review period ends.
People wanting their comments visible to members sooner, or to
be archived publicly, can send a cc to the ac-forum list or to
www-archive@w3.org as appropriate. The public is invited to send
(archive). After the review the Director will announce the document's
disposition. This announcement should not be expected sooner than
14 days after the end of the review.

This document is based upon the XInclude Candidate Recommendation
of 13 April 2004. Feedback received during that review resulted in
clarifications but no major changes. The XML Core Working Group
believes that this specification addresses all Last Call and Candidate
Recommendation issues. Known implementations are documented in the
XInclude Implementation Report. A test suite is also available.

This document has been produced under the 24 January 2002 CPP as
amended by the W3C Patent Policy Transition Procedure. An individual
who has actual knowledge of a patent which the individual believes
contains Essential Claim(s) with respect to this specification
should disclose the information in accordance with section 6 of
the W3C Patent Policy. Documentation of intellectual property
possibly relevant to this specification may be found at the
Working Group's public IPR disclosure page.

Publication as a Proposed Recommendation does not imply endorsement
by the W3C membership. This is a draft document and may be updated,
replaced or obsoleted by other documents at any time. It is
to cite this document as other than work in progress.

A list of current W3C Recommendations and other technical documents
can be found at http://www.w3.org/TR/.

Paul Grosso and Norman Walsh, chairs of the XML Core WG.