Re: Non-XML binary formats.

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:53:30 -0500
To: Bob Wyman <bobwyman@pubsub.com>
Cc: "'David Ryan'" <david@einet.com.au>, "'Stephen D. Williams'" <sdw@lig.net>, public-xml-binary@w3.org

Bob Wyman scripsit:

> The reality is that ASN.1 has always been able to do all that XML
> could do and it has been doing it for 20 years.

Except provide standard APIs and a well-supported multi-lingual processing
toolkit.  The reasons for that are social as much as technical, but do
count as a reason for not using ASN.1.

> What they don't realize is that there is a reason that ASN.1 is as
> "complete" as it is. That "completeness" has been found to be required.

The SGML weenies said that too.

--
I am expressing my opinion.  When my            John Cowan
honorable and gallant friend is called,         jcowan@reutershealth.com