Re: [xml-dev] First Working Draft of the XML Binary Characterization Use Cases

Good work to everyone involved.  I think the FIXML use case can be
expanded to cover much of the financial community.  It is fair to say that
lack of network bandwidth has been the major impediment to the use of XML
in finance.  There are still a lot of 64K circuits in use, and when there
is other data to fit into that bandwidth as well, you can't get away with
sending XML over the wire as ASCII.

Also, even though some of the major hubs (exchanges, etc.) are putting in
larger lines to their clients (e.g. 2M circuits), the internal networks of
the clients may still have a much smaller capacity, so the effective
end-to-end bandwidth is still too small to allow uncompressed XML.  The
problem with applying even simple textual compression is that it isn't
transparent to the application writer, and that is what is needed.
Companies don't want to have to build their own integration solution that
hides the difference between raw and compressed XML feeds.  They want to
be provided with a layer that just gives an application a SAX stream or
DOM tree or such without the application having to understand whether the
transmitted XML was compressed or not.

	Cheers,
		Tony.

--
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language),
http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake
please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your
e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems
Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus
infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no
responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
London Market Systems Limited.