Re: DOM3 Events last call comment [ISSUE-170]

Hi, Steven-

Thanks for your comment.

We discussed this issue at the DOM3 Events telcon today [2], along with
James Craig, whose UI Independence for ARIA proposal you cited.

We agree that there is a need for a high-level event abstraction which
encompasses the device- or hardware-level events; there are a number of
different terms for this idea, such as Semantic Events, Intentional
Events, Representational Events, etc.  I'm going to refer to all of
them, for the purpose of this email, as "User-Action events"... things
the user is trying to do, via whatever input-appropriate means.

There are a number of advantages to this approach:
* device independence: input devices which were not anticipated can
still work as expected with existing code
* ease of authoring: authors can create robust webapps without digging
into guessing what the user was trying to do through the UI devices
* separation of concerns: low-level device events can be mapped and
repurposed to higher-level abstractions, even through mid-level
intermediaries such as gestures, at either the implementation or
authoring level
* localization: keyboard shortcuts, etc. can be appropriate to the
language or OS without extra work by the author
* accessibility: webapps can function seamlessly with AT when the intent
is clear on both the AT and webapp level
* and so forth ...

This approach is a better foundation on which to build webapps than the
lower-level device-specific events defined by DOM3 Events, in many ways;
note, however, that the device-specific events are also useful.

However, we do not feel that 'DOMActivate' is the appropriate event,
neither as it was defined originally, nor as it is specified in DOM3
Events today.  It relies on a complex relationship with 'click' that
does not lend itself to simple authoring, as noted elsewhere.

We propose instead to deprecate 'DOMActivate', as planned, and to
continue work with the PFWG and the new proposed Touch Interface WG
(which may be renamed to Web Events WG) to build upon the UI
Independence for ARIA spec and other related proposals to define this
new abstraction layer with a set of associated User-Action events and an
architecture that works well in browsers, which can suppress the events
which triggered the User-Action event with stopImmediatePropagation() or
something better (for example, a user hitting ctrl+z would first fire an
'undo' event, so the webapp could stop the subsequent key event with the
'Undo' value from muddying the waters), and which can be more easily
adapted when these new events are not supported (hooks for script
libraries are one such solution).  Whether we reuse the name
'DOMActivate', or come up with a different name (maybe simply
'activate'), is up for discussion; there are pros and cons either way.

If we do define the event as 'DOMActivate', to take advantage of its
presence in other specs, implementations, and content, then it is to the
advantage of that effort that it is deprecated from DOM3 Events, so it
can be properly and canonically redefined in that spec; if we do not
reuse the name, then it might be suggested that e.g. 'activate' and
'DOMActivate' be treated synonymously in implementations.

So, in short, 'DOMActivate' was a good idea with a suboptimal execution
and unfortunate timing, and a lack of supporting infrastructure, leaving
it with a challenging legacy.  With the genuine recent interest by
developers in making device-independent code (for mobiles, desktops,
TVs, etc.), we are confident that a fresh start can be more successful
this time around.  This effort will launch presently, in parallel with
wrapping up DOM3 Events, and James Craig and I will be actively
collaborating; this is the solution we have arrived at with the PFWG,
and I hope that it also suits you and your groups.

Please let us know whether or not you are satisfied with this resolution.

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010OctDec/0095.html

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs