Re: Clarifying questions about M12n 1.1 PER

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 08:40:39 -0500
To: Krzysztof Maczyński <1981km@gmail.com>
CC: public-xhtml2@w3.org
This is an UNOFFICIAL response.

Krzysztof Maczyński wrote:
> Dear XHTML 2 WG,
>
> Section 3.6 says:
>
>> The leading field must be "-" to indicate a privately defined resource.
>>
> Why is that? (I know it was already in M12n 1.0.) What's the purpose of preventing people from registering their FPIs?

Honestly, I don't remember.  I wrote that text many years ago.  It was
not an issue raised prior to the PER being developed, so it was not
something we considered.

> It also says in SotD:
>
>> Moving the name attribute for the form and img elements out of the legacy module and into their base modules - this attribute is required for some scripting constructs.
>>
> Could you provide a more detailed explanation (in your reply, not necessarily in the spec), please?

Sure.  This was an issue raised many times by people using XHTML M12N
based languages.  Basically, as I understand it, JavaScript and the HTML
DOM expose the list of forms and images in a document via their 'name'.
So, for example, document.NAME is a reference to a FORM element with
@name if 'NAME'.

Hope this helps.