XHTML Media Types - Second Edition Appendix B - missing "lang" attribute for XHTML 1.0 served as "text/html"

From: David Lantner <david@lantner.net>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:49:46 -0400
To: public-xhtml2@w3.org
In the example document in Appendix B (to demonstrate rule A.7 as it
applies to XHTML 1.0 served as "text/html"), the "lang" attribute is

Currently, it reads:

<!-- use lang and xml:lang if your language supports it - A.7 -->

Also, I suggest re-ordering the examples provided in Appendix B
because the text starts with "The following is..." only to be
interrupted by the example for XHTML 1.1; readers quickly skimming the
text may be confused, as I was when I first read the example. I
suggest moving the example for XHTML 1.1 to follow the example for 1.0
(and add the "lang" attribute to the html element, which I have

Appendix B. An Example Document

The following is an example document that adopts the conventions
described in Appendix A to ensure its portability among XHTML and HTML
user agents. This example uses XHTML 1.0 Strict.

<!-- use lang and xml:lang if your language supports it - A.7 -->
  <title>Example Portable XHTML</title>
  <!-- Embed encoding when you can't set it from the server - A.9 -->
        content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

It could also have used XHTML 1.1. In that case the top of the
document would look like:

In this case, note that the lang attribute is not used on the html
element. XHTML 1.1 does not support the lang attribute.

Thank you all for your work in producing this document because I think
the concept of media types is greatly misunderstood.

David Lantner