CURIES and XML Host languages (PR#8058)

From: <bparsia@cs.manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:23:47 -0500
To: public-xhtml2@w3.org
CC: xhtml2-issues@mn.aptest.com

I have a problem with a MUST requirement. I realize the document is in
CR, but I only just noticed it when thinking about adding CURIE
support to OWL/XML:

In particular:

"""When CURIES are used in an XML-based host language, and that host
language supports XML Namespaces, prefix values MUST be able to be
defined using the 'xmlns:' syntax specified in [XMLNAMES]. Such host
languages MAY also provide additional prefix mapping definition

This is unnecessarily restrictive. I want to add a prefix declaration
mechanism and I want to keep namespace declarations out of the
picture. I see no reason for this not to be possible, other than
consistency with other XML formats. But I don't *want* that
consistency. I want OWL/XML processors not to have to deal with two
dereferencing mechanisms for CURIEs and I want OWL/XML to use
namespaces *solely* for element and attribute names (to avoid
confusing syntax and content).

The likely alternative is not to have CURIEs at all. Which seems silly.

Also, it's just a bit otiose. What XML language *doesn't* ,in some
sense, support XML Namespaces? What if I have a non-namespaced format
which has an open content model? If I put some SVG in there do I
suddenly have to support namespace prefix lookups?

One great advantage of CURIEs is, finally, a possibility of
*divorcing* XML Namespaces and abbreviating URIs. Yet the spec
*requires* confusing them. Please change this.

I'm fine with a SHOULD, though I think that's wrong.

I would think my organization would oppose going to PR without this

I apologize for not noting this point sooner.