Re: Issue with @charset vs. @encoding in XML Scripting Module

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:53:24 +0100, Roland Merrick
<roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Greetings Shane, fair question. During the October face to face we
> discussed this [1] and made a resolution:
>
>         RESOLUTION: keep everything from XHTML 1.0 definition of script
>
> So the question in my mind is why change from @charset to @encoding in
> XHTML2?
>         " SM: changed for XHTML2 in response to comment from i18n "
>
> but what was their rationale?

Because it isn't a charset. It's an encoding. The Unicode character set
can be encoded in a number of different ways (UTF8, UTF16 for instance).
And the term used in XML (on the XML declaration) is encoding too.

I think we should do as with lang, and have both, with @charset for legacy
use.

Steven