Re: Comments on XHTML Media Types Note 20080827

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:31:34 -0500
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
CC: "public-xhtml2@w3.org" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

Simon,

In this thread, I wanted to ask for clarification on a couple of items
you mentioned.  I think separating out these items will help us to focus
and reduce the size of the message to something people can deal with.
Note that while on some items I have already indicated we agree, changes
for those may not yet be reflected in the current editors draft.

Thanks again!

Simon Pieters wrote:

> I'm missing a number of guidelines. For instance:
>

> Markup:
>
> Don't use the internal subset.
Sure

> Don't use CDATA sections (except in <script> and <style>).
Yeah.  Actually, I think you shouldn't use them at all.  Is there a
specific syntax that you believe is portable to XHTML and HTML?

> Don't use <noscript>.
Why not?  I am not aware of a compatibility issue,

> Don't use markup in <iframe>.
Again, why not?  I am not aware of an issue between HTML and XHTML in
this regard.

> Use explicit <tbody> if scripts or style sheets assume it's there.
Sure.

> Don't use xml:base.
Agreed.

> DOM:
>
> Don't use document.write() or document.writeln().
Agreed.

> Use createElementNS if supported and fall back to createElement.
> (createElement as specced doesn't match reality and there's no interop.)
What does createElementNS do in an HTML context?  Or, in that context,
do you believe it is not supported?

> If you use application/xml, don't assume that the document will
> implement the HTMLDocument interface (e.g. don't use document.body).
> (It doesn't in Firefox.)
Agreed.

> When setting innerHTML, make sure the string is both well-formed and
> "HTML 4 compatible".
Agreed, although if I remember correctly innerHTML is not really part of
a W3C spec.

> If you don't use explicit <tbody>, make sure your script works both
> with and without tbody present.
We already tell them to use an explicitly tbody, but this guideline
cannot hurt.

> CSS:
>
> Specify 'overflow' and 'background' on html instead of body.
Good.

> If you don't use explicit <tbody>, make sure your style sheet works
> both with and without tbody present.
As above, but why not.