Re: Next steps for the ARIA syntax discussion

> > HST wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree that if things were as bad as you thought they were, that
> >> would be a problem.  But I hope I've shown above that they are _not_
> >> as bad as you thought.
> >
> > You don't think the fact that I got 2 different DOMs for the same
> > attribute in my XHTML is a problem? That happens when your
instructions
> > are followed correct[ly]?
>
> Not a problem for most users, no, because as long as they stick to
> doing set/get/removeAttribute("aria:...") they will never notice that
> (in Firefox) the DOM sometimes starts out one way and changes to
> another.

I want to ensure that everyone understands the proposal clearly:
HT is advocating that the DOM starts out one way and changes to another,
for the same property value combination.

> What's crucial is that in both states the relevant attribute
> has the _same_ nodeName, that is, "aria:checked".
> That means it's not
> a problem for browser/assistive API interface implementors either.

Some code will notice the difference. This is just good old Murphy's law
and a daily reality for people building architectures on the web. . It is
impossible to guarantee that 2 different representations will not end up
being processed differently, without examining every usage.

Your proposal recommends that authors create the external, visual
appearance that the model is the same, by using two CSS selector rules.
This is already an indication that the two representations are not
actually processed the same way everywhere.

Any time a software architecture represents the identical semantics in 2
ways, the processing of that markup must be forked somewhere else.  A good
model should represent the same semantic in one way. A dual representation
is a predictable source of bugs. This is a fundamental principle of
computer science.

The dual method of property representation are bound to introduce
additional bugs into ARIA attribute processors -- browsers, ATs, testing
tools, scripts or whatever.  These bugs will generally be silent errors,
and therefore many of them will fail to be found. When they are actually
found, the author will be forced to meticulously understand the
excruciatingly minute differences in the representation, and where and why
those differences occur. They will have to comb their code for ARIA
attribute processing, test, make modifications, and test again. This will
actually hurt potential namespace adoption and slow down ARIA's momentum,
which should not be underestimated. It is not as common as it should e for
a standard to get such broad adoption.

I hope the TAG respects the browser vendors' united request that we stick
with solid architectural principles, and maintain only one representation
for each ARIA property in the DOM. It is impossibly optimistic to hope
that having 2 different representations for the same property, even within
same runtime for a single page, will not create weird issues distributed
across the complex ecosystem of web software. I am not optimistic that the
sneaky, complex approach style work on the web. The proposal appears to
underestimate the complexity and fragility of web architecture.
Regressions on the web are simple to introduce, but difficult to track
down. There are just too many diverse environments to support, and the
technologies mix in unexpected ways. Representing the same semantic in two
ways in a runtime, is exactly the kind of trip-wire that developers are
trained to avoid.  In general, the risky, complex approach is not the
right one for the web.

Two representations in one runtime is fundamentally wrong and predictably
buggy.

Strong -1 on the proposal to use colon for fake namespaces.

- Aaron