Re: [css3-namespace] Last call comments from XHTML2 WG

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:04:11 +0100
To: "Steven Pemberton" <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, www-style@w3.org
Cc: "Forms WG" <public-forms@w3.org>, "XHTML WG" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:14:48 +0100, Steven Pemberton
<Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:
>  making it harder to write interoperable cascading style sheets.

Maybe I should just clarify this point.

Suppose I am required to include my company's house style in my
stylesheets:

	@import "/housestyle.css"
	a {color: blue}

and I have no control over what is in the housestyle CSS.

Then I don't know what "a" selects, without reading all the stylesheets in
the cascade before that rule. Even worse, there is no way I can undo
anything that the cascade has done, so that I am unable to require that
the rule means what it has meant since CSS1.

Steven