Re: XHTML Family Documents and Media Types

From: Nikita The Spider The Spider <nikitathespider@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 16:56:20 -0400
To: "olivier Thereaux" <ot@w3.org>
Cc: "Shane McCarron" <shane@aptest.com>, "XHTML WG" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>, "W3C Validator Community" <www-validator@w3.org>

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:45 PM, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:

>  Hi Shane,
>
>  Cc: www-validator, which is the feedback point for the markup
>  validator, and which is read by other validator developers, as you know.
>
>  For now, as far as I know, the validator is in sync with:
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#summary
>
>  That said, sure, if you republish the note to specifically allow a
>  certain media type for all XHTML family, I will update the w3c
>  validator accordingly. Could you give me a pointer to the updated
>  note? A pre-publication draft is fine, I just need the precise
>  conformance terms.

Olivier
Someone pointed me to the XHTML 1.1 Second Edition Working Draft dated
16 February 2007 which says, "XHTML 1.1 documents SHOULD be labeled
with the Internet Media Type text/html as defined in [ RFC2854 ] or
application/xhtml+xml as defined in [ RFC3236 ]. For further
information on using media types with XHTML, see the informative note
[ XHTMLMIME ]."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/xhtml11-diff.html#strict

Oddly enough, the referenced "informative note" XHTMLMIME is the exact
document you cite above as saying XHTML 1.1 SHOULD NOT be delivered as
text/html. So I guess/hope that if this draft is approved then the
note will be updated.

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/