XHTML Family Documents and Media Types

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:59:55 -0500
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
CC: XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>

I noticed today that the validator complains if an XHTML family document
is delivered with media type text/html.  While this is not the
recommended mechanism, it is certainly not an error.  In fact, it is the
only way to get IE to render it properly.  The XHTML 2 Working Group is
in the process of updating the Note about this so it is clearer, but I
would appreciate it if you would relax this restriction in the validator
as soon as possible.  It is confusing to our end users.