Re: Notes about XML Events 2 W3C Working Draft 16 February 2007

From: Roland Merrick <roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:56:48 +0000
To: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Cc: www-html-editor@w3.org, public-xhtml2@w3.org
Greetings Eric, thanks for your comments. We are actively working on a new
draft which we plan to publish in the near future.

1. event() function's return type
---------------------------------
There does appear to be an error in the draft [1], as you point out the
syntax is defined as : node-set event(string)
The supporting text however contradicts this and defines what you have
asked for, i.e. "The value returned will be typed, depending on the
property."

2.   3.  4.
--------
all ask for the attributes to be lists. This sounds reasonable and we will
change in the next draft.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-events-20070216/#xpath-event-function

Regards, Roland
FBCS, CITP
IBM Software Group, Strategy, Software Standards

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: www-html-editor-request@w3.org
05/03/2008 01:16

www-html-editor@w3.org
cc

Subject
Notes about XML Events 2 W3C Working Draft 16 February 2007

All,

Please consider the comments below on "XML Events 2 W3C Working Draft
16 February 2007" [1]:

1. event() function's return type
---------------------------------

In [1], event() returns a node-set. In XForms 1.1 CR, event() returns
an object [2]. Practically, it can return at runtime node-set, string,
and number objects.

Please make this consistent with XForms 1.1 by allowing a return type
of object.

2. Ability to register multiple events with the @event attribute

It is often useful to register the same handler for multiple
events. The @event attribute is defined as a QName, therefore not
including spaces.

My request is to extend the content of the @event attribute to support
a space-separated list of QName, with the meaning of listening to more
than one event type.

Example with XForms:

<xforms:action ev:event="xforms-valid xforms-invalid">

3. Ability to register multiple  observers with the @observer attribute

Similarly, it is useful to attach a handler to multiple observers.

My request is to extend the content of the @observer attribute to
support a space-separated list of IDREF, with the meaning of attaching
the handler as an observer to more than one location.

Example with XForms:

<xforms:action ev:event="xforms-value-changed" ev:observer="trigger1
trigger2">

4. Ability to register multiple targets with the @targetid attribute

Similarly, it is useful to specify a match for multiple targets.

My request is to extend the content of the @ targetid attribute to
support a space-separated list of IDREF, with the meaning of checking
on more than one target.

Example with XForms:

<xforms:action ev:event="xforms-value-changed" ev:targetid="trigger1
trigger2">

Best,

-Erik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-xml-events-20070216/